Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Made It, Yee Haw!!

Well, I have a little updating to do. I left Kingston on Saturday morning, and it started to rain. I ended up staying in a Tim Horton's for a coffee and reading the local paper that a kind lady left for me. When the rain let up, I started out again. It was a cold windy morning. It seemed that the wind was from the north the whole way. I went up highway 15 to Elgin and turned onto the Cataraqui Trail to Smith's Falls. I had to stop on 15 to tighten up my rear hub as I was wobbling without any wobbly pop. I am glad I brought the hub wrench that I almost put back at the last moment. Otherwise, the phrase, "Up The Creek..." would have been appropriate. The only thing I didn't like about the trip north of Kingston was the total lack of amenities. I stopped for lunch at a diner on 15 about 40 km north of Kingston, and there was nothing till Smith's Falls. I enjoyed the Cataraqui Trail for the most part. The ride was reasonably smooth for a gravel trail. For anyone thinking of trying this trail (this means you Jens!) bring a bike with fatter tires as there are patches of gravel to compensate for beaver damage from making dams. The majority of the trail from 15 to Smith's Falls is on a creek or bog side. The scenery was typical countryside with the usual dogs barking at moving cyclists,(me!) I will put a couple pix of the trail up. I ended up bonking around 10km outside of Smith's Falls, with my first flat tire shortly after. The trail got a little rougher closer to town. I must get a better pump, I can't get the pressure I need to ride properly under load. When I was about 5 km from town, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel of trees. I just drove towards it as I was very tired, and the thought of a light at the end of the tunnel was very reassuring to me! I was also concerned as I had just lost two screws in a row from the left chainstay to my carrier and hoped that it wasn't an omen, orthat I would have to ditch my load until daylight and come back, hoping it was still there. I got towards the light, only to discover, to my delight, that the light at the end of the tunnel was the light from the Tim Horton's sign on Lombard Street in Smith's Falls! My saviour! I stopped for a Chili Deal and called for lodging with the Salvation Army(Thanks) who put me up at Shardon Manor on County road 43. I had a warm reception waiting for me when I pulled up on my bike from Sharon, who made sure that I had a hot bath, a safe bed, a drink of juice for my meds and food, if I hadn't eaten already. I had a good rest here! I checked my bike over after a good night's sleep and tightened up every bolt I could find. I didn't want to lose anymore as the bike shop in Smith's Falls was closed on Sundays (Gone Cycling). I left Sunday morning to go to the Smith's Falls Railway Museum and to ride out the hottest time of day. I had a good time looking at all the train cars, inside and out. I chatted with the museum staff, who were very helpful with train info, as well as trail info, as the trails I have been riding are old rail trails, one from their railway. I will likely be able to go back from Smith's Falls to Kingston without hitting the highway for very long. It seems that I missed out on taking the K&P Trail north to the Cataraqui. Maybe a bit longer, but more scenic, I'm told. I left Smith's Falls on Highway 15 north to Carleton Place. I had a little wet incident on 15, my water (bag) broke. I was wet from the bum down as the hose on my hydration pack broke off the bag. I had to change roadside:-( I hit the next Tim Horton's,(I sense a theme here!) and got air in my tires at Canadian Tire, where I got info to find the Ottawa - Carleton Trail. It wasn't clearly marked on my Ontario Bicycle Network Map. For those going on this trail, you come into Carleton Place, hang a left on Lake Ave., just in sight of Timmy's and follow the sign of hospital and keep going to Shopper's Drug Mart on our right, not the Shopper's at the medical clinic on your left. You turn right at the Shopper's (I've forgotten the street name), go forward to Rental Village, turn left at the dead end street, and you are at the trail. This was the easiest trail I've ever seen that wasn't paved. Nothing to see but trees, but smooth, flat and easy to navigate as there are no bends until you are on the outskirts of Ottawa. I'll post a pic or two later. I got lost, I thought, before the end of the trail, so I just followed my instincts, which turned out to be correct, and got downtown in about two hours or so. I am staying for now at the Salvation Army Booth Centre in Ottawa, and will see Mme Meilleur in the next couple days, I hope. I have emailed her, with no response, so I will call today for an appointment, or drop in tomorrow. I have to go now, or I will miss my free lunch. If anyone out there can help with expenses, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment